Tensions are continuing to rise between world superpowers. China has ordered its military to “enhance combat readiness” following a test of a MOAB (mother of all bombs); Russia and Iran are planning drills in the Atlantic; and the U.S. just sailed a Navy destroyer through the contested South China waters.
Last week, China’s President Xi Jinping Friday ordered the Chinese armed forces People’s Liberation Army (PLA) to enhance their combat readiness to safeguard national sovereignty, security and development interests after the U.S. had issued a travel warning to China stating Americans were at risk to arbitrary and indefinite detention.
“The world is facing a period of major changes never seen in a century, and China is still in an important period of strategic opportunity for development,” Xi said, to the Central Military Commission (CMC) warning that various risks and challenges were on the rise. “The entire armed forces should have a correct understanding of China’s security and development trends, enhance their awareness of danger, crisis and war, and make solid efforts on combat preparations in order to accomplish the tasks assigned by the Party and the people,” Xi added according to a press release.
This followed the test of China’s dubbed Mother Of All Bombs, (MOAB) only a day prior, according to the official Xinhua news agency which described the bomb as the “Chinese version of the ‘Mother of all Bombs,’” Dawn reported.
The bomb’s strength was compared second to that of a nuclear weapon, according to the agency.
The bomb was dropped by a Chinese H-6K bomber, while the location, the date of the drop, and the range of the bomb blast weren’t publicized.
Presumably, the U.S. responded by sending a U.S. Navy destroyer the USS McCampbell into the contested Chinese waters, near the disputed islands in the South China Sea during ongoing trade talks in what China called a “provocation,” Reuters reported…
The destroyer carried out a “freedom of navigation” operation, sailing within 12 nautical miles of the Paracel Island chain, “to challenge excessive maritime claims”, Pacific Fleet spokeswoman Rachel McMarr said in an emailed statement to Reuters.
This comes after a senior Chinese military official Dai Xu (戴旭), threatened U.S. Navy vessels in the South China Sea, recommending that China should attack the ships, Activist Post reported.
Xu recommended aggressive action against the U.S. if it “breaks into Chinese waters again” stating the following: “If the U.S. warships break into Chinese waters again, I suggest that two warships should be sent: one to stop it, and another one to ram it… In our territorial waters, we won’t allow US warships to create disturbance,” Taiwan News reported.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang stated that the U.S. operation had violated China’s and international law, and China had lodged “stern repercussions.”
“We urge the United States to immediately cease this kind of provocation,” Kang said, adding that China had sent its own military ships and aircraft to identify and warn the ship.
China’s Defense Ministry further added that the ship had “gravely infringed upon China’s sovereignty.”
“We will be on high alert and will closely monitor the air and sea situation to strongly defend our sovereignty and security,” China’s defense ministry said in a message carried by Chinese state media.